Re: gems/Rails issues on etch

Lucas,

I seem to be having a wider gem related problem. I noticed that ruby
isn't able to find any of the gems. For example if I do

rails test

I get:
bash: rails: command not found

Inside irb if I type require 'rails'
LoadError: no such file to load -- rails
       from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require'
       from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'
       from (irb):1
I uninstalled all ruby related debs and reinstalled them. Again I
installed the rubygems deb.
gem install rails --include-dependencies
works fine and I get successful installs in /var/lib/gems but as a
regular user I cannot use them. I am installing them as root as I've
done always rather than sudo.

WHen I installed etch, I had a botched dist-upgrade and so I installed
from the net-inst cd but I left all my partitions the same and left my
/home volume undisturbed.  It seems to have worked for most other
apps. Wonder if that's causing a problem.

-bakki

On 3/8/07, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
[ Cc to debian-ruby@ re-added ]

On 08/03/07 at 13:18 -0500, Bakki Kudva wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> >On 08/03/07 at 08:56 -0500, Bakki Kudva wrote:
> >> Hi Rubyists,
> >>
> >> I just upgraded one of my machines to etch to see what impact it would
> >> have on Ruby and in particular Rails development.
> >>
> >> I am finding that my gem/Rails env is broken. For example when I try
> >> and install the rmagick gem I get:
> >
> >Which command did you type, exactly ?
>
> gem install rmagick

I just checked in a clean etch chroot, and it worked fine here.

Have you installed the build-essential package, for example ? Maybe your
build environment misses an important package. libmagick9-dev is also
needed.