Re: Common Position on RubyGems, stupid? what about /usr/local/ ?

# I replied just to Anthony so I sent it to the list again.
# He gave me a patch that enables to use GEM_HOME.

Antony Lesuisse wrote:

> rubygems would be patched to support gems installed in multiple
> directories
>
>     /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/gem
>     /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/
>     $HOME/.rubygems

Why don't you use GEM_HOME environment variable to specify your favorite
place?

Packaging tools should not install anything to /usr/local. It's debian
policy. Although $ gem install is not an official debian tool such as
apt and dpkg, it is something like that and this way would cause "least
surprise."

/usr/lib is an official directory where official packaging tools only
use. Since $ gem is semi-official it may use...
I don't know other script languages well. Are there any packaging tools
like gem which use /usr/lib/...  as their  repositories?

That's why I select /var/lib/gem.

I will upload the libgems-ruby1.8 package to experimental distribution
this weak end.

# Now I am an official developer.

Thanks,
Daigo