Re: Common Position on RubyGems, stupid? what about /usr/local/ ?

Jason D. Clinton wrote:
On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 14:22 +0200, Antony Lesuisse wrote:
I think this thread should move to debian-ruby list. My further posts will be debian-ruby only.

Then why did you redirect the message that I intentionally sent directly to you (off-list) back to debian-devel!?

Because the list was very quiet, i thought that it might interrest a more wide audience (also i'm only subscribed to debian-devel, i read debian-ruby using the web archives).

If the build-depends are corrects, gem install could be used. (Disallowing any kind of remote access)

But that's a minor issue.

No it's not. This is not Gentoo. Debian doesn't build packages as they are installed. And we're not just talking about Ruby source code here; any C bindings would have to be built. The architecture for that doesn't exist.

The _REAL_ issue is how to allow local administrator (and local users if possible) to install and consume gems (outside the realm on debian debs).

No, that's already solved. Either they have access to dpkg as a root user or they invoke ruby with their own custom environment variables.

Solved by laziness :). Let me ask you a question do you use any firefox extension ?