Re: Common Position on RubyGems, stupid? what about /usr/local/ ?

(resent for the archive now that the email is auth on debian-ruby because
the "Rubygems debian package proof of concept" does that)

I think this thread should move to debian-ruby list. My further posts will be
debian-ruby only.

If the build-depends are corrects, gem install could be used. (Disallowing any
kind of remote access)

But that's a minor issue.

The _REAL_ issue is how to allow local administrator (and local users if
possible) to install and consume gems (outside the realm on debian debs).

The debian firefox package allow me to install firefox extension even if those
are not pakcaged as deb.  Firefox is a framework like ruby (using ecmascript
as its language), i don't see why ruby couldn't do it.

A rubygem.deb provided by debian would be installed into

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems*
/usr/bin/gem

When root type

	gem install gemname

it would install the gem into

	/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/gems

When a non-root user type

	gem install gemname

it would install the gem into

	$HOME/.rubygems/

rubygems would be patched to support gems installed in multiple directories

	/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/gem
	/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/
	$HOME/.rubygems

I'm experimenting with rubygems-0.8.11.tgz it looks like it will require a
patch to support multiple directories.