Re: Please package damagecontrol and its missing dependents

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 09:20:24PM +0100, Niklaus Giger wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a happy user of Debian and I appreciate all your efforts to give me
> control over so much useful software.
>
> However the current situation with Ruby-Packages and gems is a complete mess.
>
> I wanted to test DamageControl from http://damagecontrol.codehaus.org/.
>
> As I could not find any Debian package (and not able/willing to build up the
> knowledge to build my own ruby/Debian packages) I was tried the ruby/gems
> approach und failed miserably as two requested gems sqlite3-ruby and x10-cm17a
> would not install on my Powerbook (missing mkmf.rb).

Try installing ruby1.8-dev and the -dev packages for the required shared
libs first, and then running gem install again.

> I would greatly appreciate if you could provide Debian packages for all the
> missing packets.
>
> There might be more missing Debian packages as I found in the Subversion
> archive the following
> require_gem 'ambient'
> require_gem 'cmdparse'
> require_gem 'gmailer'
> require_gem 'jabber4r'
> require_gem 'meta_project'
> require_gem 'mime-types'
> require_gem 'rake'
> require_gem 'RedCloth'
> require_gem 'rscm'
> require_gem 'ruby-growl'
> require_gem 'rubyzip'
> require_gem 'sqlite3-ruby'
> require_gem 'x10-cm17a'

This (amongst other things) makes packaging more difficult than it should be,
so for the time being I'd recommend you to install with RubyGems (upstream
essentially turned it into the only way to install and use the rscm).

--
Mauricio Fernandez