RubyGems about to be merged in Ruby CVS HEAD -- plz comment

Hi,

RubyGems is just days (hours?) away from being included in Ruby's stdlib
and becoming the official standard for distribution and installation of
Ruby libraries and applications. I believe that in its current shape
RubyGems makes life more difficult for repackagers. I have thus made
a desperate attempt to have RubyGems fixed before it is too late, by
posting on ruby-core:5834, which will be available as

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/5834

and in the meantime, until it propagates to the archives, under

http://thekode.net/sp/view/u2l4ni/

I'd appreciate any comments to be posted as replies to ruby-core.
The importance of what some of us see as RubyGems' source compatibility
breakage has been disregarded for a long time, and seemingly no
attention was paid to the few voices that have been warning about this.

I know some of you feel that way too (based on discussions on this ML
and the conversations we've had on IRC). If you would want to see these
issues fixed, *now* is the time to let your voice be heard.

These problems have been partially acknowledged by the RubyGems team,
and they said they'd address them nearly one year ago, but nothing has
happened in the meantime. Please consider dropping an email to ruby-core
if you also think that RubyGems should be repackager-friendly,
explaining your reasons --- even a "me too" is appreciated at this point,
since otherwise this will be ignored again. Any information about your
experience regarding repackaging sw. in RubyGems format would also be
very appreciated.

This is the last chance to have RubyGems fixed packaging-wise. Please
make sure you don't let it slip by if you care about this at all. Keep
in mind that RubyGems is about to become an official standard; even if
you haven't had to interact with it before, you will *have to* in the
future. Just leaving it aside won't be an option. If it's not fixed now,
it might never be.

Regards,

--
Mauricio Fernandez