Re: About the Ruby packages split: a concrete proposal

Hi,

I think I understand the topic of this proposal. IMHO
changing the role of meta package here isn't good idea. and
I wonder what you mean by -core. also wonder if we really
need a lot of meta package for only Ruby. I disagree your
proposal then.
However I like an idea of making a meta package like
ruby-stdlib. so another proposal from me to solve this
problem is:

- make a meta package like rubyX.Y-stdlib in rubyX.Y, which
  has all dependencies of the packages built from Ruby.  If
  you don't want to install some package in them, you can
  just install the packages you want from them so that you
  can see which packages are provided from Ruby now.

- make a meta package like ruby-stdlib in ruby-defaults,
  which has a dependency of rubyX.Y-stdlib according to the
  initial policy of ruby-defaults. I mean it works for
  providing the current stable version.

- add Suggests: ruby-stdlib to ruby meta package. IMHO it
  should be sufficient since you can see which packages are
  suggested by the package when you do apt-get
  install. either Depends or Recommends is annoying to me.

Any idea/comments/thoughts are welcome.

Regards,
--
Akira TAGOH  : tagoh@gnome.gr.jp  / Japan GNOME Users Group