Re: 1.8, mod_ruby and eRuby?

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 07:55:05PM +0300, Dmitry Borodaenko wrote:
> > I'm hoping that it'll clear up some stability issues I'm having. It
> > started out with Apache's childs occationally segfaulting, but has
> > escalated to having the main process hang when logrotate signals it to
> > reopen the logfiles.
>
> I've finally uploaded eruby backport to p.d.o/~angdraug, try it and let
> me know if it works. It was suspiciously easy, recompile with pbuilder
> worked from the first try, so there have to be bugs creeping there ;-)

Yay.. Or.. Well, not too much yay..

I tried installing it on my home server, and every Ruby page would
hang Apache totally. Indefinitly. I could see them hanging about in the
ps listing, and for some reason Apache would double fork.

Nothing in error.log. No sign of the eruby temp files in /tmp. Even
the most minimal script (<% puts "Test" %>) would hang. The apache
processes isn't using any CPU time either. Just nothing. Trying
apache/erb-run.rb as a handler produces the same results.

Downgrading eruby, libapache-mod-ruby and liberuby to the normal Woody
versions and everything is dandy again.

The eruby command itself did work, and put out the right version, so I
suppose it's not eRuby itself that's borked, and I can't imagine
libapache-mod-ruby being broken, so something's definitely rotten in
the state of Denmark.

I haven't got a clue as to how to debug this.

dpkg - warning: downgrading eruby from 1.0.5-1woody1 to 0.9.7-2.
dpkg - warning: downgrading liberuby from 1.0.5-1woody1 to 0.9.7-2.
dpkg - warning: downgrading libapache-mod-ruby from 1.0.7-1woody1 to
0.9.7-2.

> > On a related subject, noticed that 1.2 of mod_ruby is out, anyone
> > happen to know when there's a chance we'll se that?
>
> I'm on to backporting that, too ;-)

Maybe I should try that.

BTW, aren't libmysql-ruby missing there?

--
Thomas
beast@system-tnt.dk