Re: Spim is increasing for debian.org

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:
The amount of spam I recieve via XMPP for my debian.org user is
increasing.  Is there a firewall in place now, or is it still missing?

It is still missing, unfortunately.

The versions of prosody and prosody-modules installed are sufficient
for a firewall now, it "just" needs to be done.

Any help is very welcome!
(imagine some fancy ASCII art frames here!)

We are not the only ones suffering: Germanys most important Jabber
server was down for some hours yesterday:

https://www.jabber.de/stoerung-durch-ru-spambot/
(English translation by deepl.com below)

Note, that many Jabber admins like to keep their firewall rules
secret. They hope, that breaking it would be more difficult that
way. I prefer to have the recipes in public to get more feedback and
to allow easy copying to other servers.

Cheers

jabber.de:
Disturbance by [ru] Spambot
Published on December 4, 2018 by devilz

Herewith we would like to inform you about the disturbance this
morning.  A Russian Spambot caused an extreme load on our server,
which led to delays and impairments in the network operation.

Unfortunately, it was not immediately obvious that a spambot was
causing trouble here, so we had to check different scenarios before
we came to this culprit.

In the meantime the operation is secured again.  We would like to
apologize to all users for the failure - our demand on the service
was not fulfilled today. We continue to work on stability and
reliability and hope you will continue to place your trust in us.

On Saturday we will update to the new Prosody version. The
maintenance starts at 21:30 and will last about 30 minutes.  In this
maintenance window we will also install a module for AntiSpam, which
will block messages with known spam.