Re: Unable to update linux-image-6.6.9-riscv64

On 2024-01-12, Michael Fladischer wrote:
> I have a Sifive Hifive Unmatched Rev B to test Debian on Risc-V. So far
> it has been absolutely stable and worked really well. Installation was
> done as outlined by [0] with boot from onboard SPI Flash and NVMe drive.
>
> The wiki instructs one to use vfat for /boot which now has started to
> render the linux-image-6.6.9-riscv64 package uninstallable:

Seems like the wiki is broken. Supporting vfat for /boot is unlikely to
ever work in Debian...

> Any advise on how to handle this best?
>
> * Does syslinux/extlinux support having /boot on ext4 or similar posix fs?

U-Boot supports /boot on ext4, which is what parses the syslinux/exlinux menus.

> * Would it make sense dpkg-divert all files in /boot to somewhere else
> and use hooks in /etc/kernel/postinst.d/ to copy files to /boot?
> * Something else?

Just use ext4 for /boot. :)

> [0] https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/SiFive/HiFiveUnmatched

I haven't figured out where that was introduced in the history yet, but
probably needs to be fixed.

live well,
  vagrant