Re: Near-upstream kernel for VisionFive2

Hello Pratham,

On 25-10-23, Pratham Patel wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 at 16:33, Baptiste Jonglez
> <baptiste@bitsofnetworks.org> wrote:
> > We're trying to build a system that is as close as possible to upstream
> > for the VisionFive2.  Here "upstream" means both Debian and Linux kernel.
> >
> > The current progress is here: https://framagit.org/compile-farm/debian-risc-v-build
> >
> > The main blockers right now are NVMe and networking.  Did anybody have
> > success with these with a reasonable kernel config?
>
> The PCIe patches for the VisionFive2 are not merged yet[0]. Therefore,
> the NVMe drive not working at the moment is expected.

I'm using the development branch from the starfive repository (currently
91 patches on top of upstream 6.5.0 kernel).  It does include patches that
add PCIe support.

I just tested another NVMe drive and this time it's correctly detected, so
it might be a compatibility issue.

> As for the networking, I am unsure why it isn't working. As the first
> step of troubleshooting, can you make sure that `CONFIG_DWMAC_STARFIVE`
> is enabled?

It does, I'm using the same config as the Debian kernel + a few custom
config items, see here:

  https://framagit.org/compile-farm/debian-risc-v-build

The link is visible and goes up, but packets don't go through.

Baptiste