Re: cross compile bash 4.4.18 fails

On Mon, Sep 03, 2018 at 09:08:55AM -0500, Clay Kimber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to cross compile bash 4.4.18 for use in a riscv64 VM.  I am on
> debian sid and am using the pre-built toolchains as outlined on
> wiki.debian.org/RISC-V.
>
> I am trying to run
>
> ./configure --enable-static-link --host=riscv64
>
> but configure complains of
>
> Invalid configuration `riscv64': machine riscv64 not recognized.
>
> This occurs when I try --host=riscv-linux-gnu and other permutations.  I've
> looked through the support/config.sub file and not found any reference to
> riscv or riscv64, so I believe using the --host arguemtn is bound to
> fail...is that correct?

The config.guess and config.sub versions that are included in the
upstream bash-4.4.18 tarball are outdated and the debian/rules
file updates them on the fly when building the package.  Current
versions of config.sub and config.guess are available in the
autotools-dev package.  The following commands should work for
building a static bash:

$ sudo apt-get install autotools-dev
$ apt-get source bash
$ cd bash-4.4.18
$ cp /usr/share/misc/config.sub /usr/share/misc/config.guess support/
$ ./configure --enable-static-link --host=riscv64-linux-gnu
$ make

HTH,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der