communication intensity in OSS

Dear colleagues,

does anyone know of a journal article which assesses the intensity
of communication of open-source projects, compared to physical
organisations? I postulate that it's a lot higher due to mailing
lists and chat channels, and since it's going on around the clock,
but I could not find any paper on the topic on jstor, ebsco, google
scholar, elsevier, or plain google. i'd prefer not to have to write
that paper first. :)

I am trying to match an older claim to Debian. The claim says that
ideas spread faster in networks with high values of geographic
proximity. It seems perfectly sensible that with IRC and mailing
lists, Debian is actually quite tightly knit, despite the large
geographic span. Or does anyone disagree with that?

Cheers,

--
Martin F. Krafft        <mailto:martin.krafft@ul.ie>
Ph.D. student           http://phd.martin-krafft.net

I study the diffusion of development tools in large open-source
projects, specifically the factors which lead to the adoption of new
methods by developers of the Debian project. Debian is one of the
largest open-source projects, with several thousand volunteer
contributors. I am one of the developers, and interested in
improving the efficiency of our workflows.

Lero - the Irish Software Engineering Research Centre
University of Limerick, Ireland