Re: planning a survey

Hi Martin

Sorry to answer so late. I have been busy with other thins (mainly
bringing my packages into shape for etch) and planning what I want to do
in my research exactly.

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 06:13:31PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@debian.org> [2006.09.06.1742 +0200]:
>
> Maybe you can disclose some more information about what you're
> trying to find out from people, either here or in private mail, so
> we can assess whether we can merge the two surveys.

My research is about social status in an online developer community. I'm
planing to measure the work effort individual developers put into Debian
and to see how it affects their status. The status will on one part be
measured with the survey, but also with non interactive methods like how
fast the get a response on mailinglists and how fast bugs they report are
acted upon.

For the survey I plan to ask the following questions:

general social variables like (these are not strictly necessary for my
research questions, but it's generally nice to have these and they are
usefull to get a global overview over the population in the survey):
- education
- profession
- gender
- age
- place of birth/youth, place where they live now
  - country
  - size of city
- income
- nationality

Debian related questions:
- network inside debian
  - name generator for the most respected/valued people (eg. name the
    ten persons that are most valuable for Debian in your opinion)
  - people they work together
- Since when are you contributing to Debian?
- Since when are you using Debian?
- How many hours are you spending on Debian work a month?
- Are you paid for your Debian work?
- profession / occupation when you started working on Debian
- ...

gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.