Re: non-essential adduser poses problems to purging packages

On Thu, May 18, 2023, at 21:05, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting Nicolas Dandrimont (2023-05-18 20:51:04)
>> On Thu, May 18, 2023, at 10:03, Marc Haber wrote:
>> > adduser probably needs an additional hint because the new upload makes
>> > piuparts fail now, as discussed yesterday.
>> To work around this issue on the piuparts side, it sounds like we should make
>> piuparts treat adduser as fake-essential for tests ending at bookworm or sid,
>> so that we don't try to uninstall it; Andreas, what do you think?
>
> a more general solution would be to skip uninstallation on all packages marked
> with Protected:yes or to only uninstall with --allow-remove-essential. Such a
> solution would not only benefit adduser but also any future packages marked
> with Protected:yes.

Yeah, I thought about that, but there's value in effecting a config-only change at this late stage in the freeze, to only carve out the minimal exception needed to work around this late breakage.

We can revisit a more generic code change in piuparts for Protected:yes packages in the trixie cycle.

Nicolas Dandrimont