Re: dash: remove unnecessary diversion of /bin/sh

On Mon, 1 May 2023 at 08:55, Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 01, 2023 at 12:07:52AM +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:32:23 +0100 Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > MR: https://salsa.debian.org/debian/dash/-/merge_requests/19
> > >
> > > I think we should ship these changes in bookworm. Why?
> > >
> > > - we get diversion-less essential package set already in bookworm
> > > - we get diversion-less uber-essential dash already in bookworm
> > > - we get maintainer-script free uber-essential dash in trixie
> > > - in case we need to go down the canonicalization-by-dh forced
> > > migration path in trixie to lift the moratorium on moving files, we
> > > don't have /bin/sh diversions as a blocker and the path remains open
> > >
> > > Yes, I realize it is late, and I wish I had come across this ticket
> > > some months ago. But we still have time, and the benefits are great
> > :-)
> >
> > Alright, this is now in experimental (thanks Andrej), please help with
> > testing if you can!
>
> Let me record this in email:
>  * I am the primary author of these changes and still think we should
>    perform them at a convenient time.
>  * As far as I understand it, the main motivation from Luca is improving
>    the /usr-merge transition.
>  * Given that dash is one of the rare cases diverting files from itself
>    rather than from other packages, I think that the benefit to the
>    /usr-merge transition of doing this before bookworm is minor.
>    Removing other kinds of unnecessary diversions would be more useful
>    to the transition.
>  * I think these changes are not in line with the freeze policy.
>  * For these reasons, I recommend not trying to ship them in bookworm
>    (despite removing unnecessary diversions being a good thing in
>    general).
>  * Breakage can happen in unexpected places (e.g. DPKG_ROOT, which is
>    the origin of my work on this).
>  * If you proceed in bookworm anyway, I expect you to own any kind of
>    breakage that results from this (including DPKG_ROOT breakage).
>
> And with this, I'll leave it up to you until bookworm is released.

Actually my main motivation is that diversions in /usr are
fundamentally incompatible with the concept of a read-only /usr vendor
partition. As far as I can tell this is the only diversion that is
installed by default in the essential set, so I am very very keen on
seeing it gone. Having this change in bookworm means in trixie we can
be rid of it completely, and otherwise we'd have to wait yet another
full cycle. The fact that it also helps with the merge transition is
really icing on the cake.
Yes, I wish I had noticed and had time for this earlier, but if wishes
were horses etc etc.

To me it seems a fairly straightforward change, and it is in
experimental now for us to prove it otherwise, so I'd be really keen
in getting an unblock for bookworm for this. And yes I'm happy to help
if anything goes awry.

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi