Re: dash: remove unnecessary diversion of /bin/sh

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 12:18:58 +0200 Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de>
wrote:
> > Upshot: the proposal below doesn't bring us closer to that ideal,
> but
> > it doesn't bring us further away either.  And I like the idea of
> > making the default configuration simpler.
>
> \o/

> tweaking to
> > be easier to read but then it should be good to apply.
>
> Updated patch attached.

I've rebased the patch, including the change currently in the
debian/experimental branch to drop the ash diversion upgrade path, and
done the following testing in a bookworm amd64 chroot:

Without sh -> bash diversion:

upgrade dash bookworm -> dash patched
upgrade dash bullseye -> dash bookworm -> dash patched
upgrade dash bullseye -> dash patched
downgrade dash patched -> dash bookworm
downgrade dash patched -> dash bullseye

Then, downgrade dash to bullseye, install sh -> bash diversion via
debconf ('echo "dash dash/sh boolean false" | debconf-set-selections'
and then 'dpkg-reconfigure dash'), then repeated the set above.

In all upgrade cases we end up with no diversions configured and sh ->
dash. In the downgrade to bullseye case without setting debconf we go
back to having the diversion in place.

In the downgrade from patched to bullseye case with debconf set to
false there is no diversion in place, but from current bookworm to
bullseye the bash diversion is restored - is this something that needs
to be fixed? Changing debconf back to 'true' and doing a reconfigure
readds it already as things stand. Do we care about this use case?
Given bash as /bin/sh is really not supported anymore, I tend to think
that we don't and it's fine as-is.

MR: https://salsa.debian.org/debian/dash/-/merge_requests/19

I think we should ship these changes in bookworm. Why?

- we get diversion-less essential package set already in bookworm
- we get diversion-less uber-essential dash already in bookworm
- we get maintainer-script free uber-essential dash in trixie
- in case we need to go down the canonicalization-by-dh forced
migration path in trixie to lift the moratorium on moving files, we
don't have /bin/sh diversions as a blocker and the path remains open

Yes, I realize it is late, and I wish I had come across this ticket
some months ago. But we still have time, and the benefits are great :-)

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi