Re: Python 3.11 for bookworm?

while we have not an 100% agreement to go ahead, I think we should aim for 3.11.

The following steps would be:

 - accept the current python3-defaults into
   testing (adding 3.11 as supported)
 - ask for a transition slot to upload (see #1026825)
   python3-defaults with 3.11 as the default
 - start the no-change NMUs
 - file bug reports.
 - fix issues
 - let 3.11 as default migrate to testing.

If things don't go as planned, we could default back to 3.10. Mostly that would be no-change uploads, however in the case of a 3.11 specific fix that doesn't work for 3.10, these fixes would need reverting. I have no idea who many of these we will introduce with this transition.

Also we might want to ask for some freeze exceptions for third party libraries, that we can't fix before the feature freeze, unfortunately at this point we cannot say which and how many packages would be affected.

Matthias