Re: Should qpdf depend on gnutls?

Yeah, that's what what I decided to do. Thanks.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, at 2:08 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Jay Berkenbilt:

> I'm about to release qpdf 10. Someone contributed an openssl crypto
> provider. Do you think I should build with the qpdf packages for
> debian with 1) only gnutls, 2) only openssl, or 3) both gnutls and
> openssl? Option 3 allows users to select at runtime but makes qpdf
> dependent on both packages. I notice that systemd also depends on
> openssl. My impulse is to go with option 1 (gnutls only) because I
> really don't see any advantage in the OS package letting users
> choose at runtime which crypto to use, but including both cryptos
> probably doesn't ultimately affect what gets installed on anyone's
> system since openssl is basically always going to be there.

This seems to be more of a query for debian-devel, to be honest.

Two packages do not seem particularly useful to me. Since apt depends
on libgnutls30, I don't see how an OpenSSL backend for qpdf could
minimize installation size.  This suggests to me that you should stick
with GNUTLS for Debian.