Re: request to remove "-updates" repository

On Sun, 2020-04-05 at 19:51 +0100, Samuel Henrique wrote:
> For the scope of "stable-updates" only then, would you say it makes
> sense to just use "stable" instead, for the reasons I mentioned?
> What do you say would be the negative impact of that (if any), since
> the repository is already enabled by default and not using it is
> equivalent to not updating the system until a point release gets out?

Changing "stable" only happens at point releases, since it requires
(amongst other things) combined GPG signatures from the FTP Team and
Release Team. It's also a multiple hour process, involving both ftp and
release teams together with the press and images teams, updated
installers and so on.

Removing stable-updates would mean that the only way that some changes
- for instance, timezone updates, clamav updates, critical regressions
introduced in a point release but not noticed until afterwards - would
reach users would be for us to perform a point release or for the users
to consume proposed-updates. I'm not convinced that either of those is
a useful alternative.

Regards,

Adam