Python3.8 Transition Lessons Learned

In the course of dropping python3.7 from supported versions binNMUs were
scheduled before the python3-defaults update dropping python3.7 migrated to
testing.

These binNMUs migrated to Testing immediately.  This resulted in a case where
in Testing, python3.7 and python3.8 were supported versions, but packages had
lost their python3.7 support.  This caused autopkgtest failures which appeared
as regressions.

In the future, I think it would be better to upload python3-defaults dropping
the old version, let it migrate to Testing, and then schedule binNMUs.  That
would result in less churn.

This is sent to more than one list, so please pay attention to which list you
are replying.

Scott K
P. S. I am not subscribed to debian-release, so please cc me on any replies
for that list.