Re: Request: removal of package lilo from testing

Hello Paul,

Paul Gevers wrote on 2019-11-29 20:35:

> Do you mean, a new version of the lilo package (I was reading it for a
> while you were going to introduce a new binary package, which doesn't
> make sense to me)?

Not a new upstream lilo package, but only a updated Debian package,
only with a new NEWS file.

> Your approach above will be good for users of unstable and testing, but
> how does this help users of stable, when they upgrade from buster to
> bullseye after the release of the latter? Just by writing this in the
> release notes? Is that the best we can do?

That's right, it doesn't help users of stable and oldstable, if they make
an upgrade.

But then the only solution is making a transitional package "lilo" which
have dependency to grub2, which will install grub2 and remove the binaries
of lilo. This can entail many risks. Because of many different system
structures it could be, that at the end there is no functioning booting on
this system ...

---
Have a nice day.
Joachim (Germany)