Re: #932795 - Setting up minimum build system expectations?

Hi Gunnar,

Disclaimer, I haven't discussed this with the team, so what I write here
is my personal perception and opinion.

On 11-08-2019 05:26, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Dear Release Team members, I am reaching out to see what is your
> position regarding bug #932795, which in turn references
> #907829.

Ack. I'm aware of the bug and subscribed.

> Thing is, I want to push a bit before we (Tech-Ctte) to have
> a possible decision for our next meeting (2019.08.21).

Our next meeting will be on 2019-08-28, so discussing it there will be
too late for you.

> In short - This bug started off quite aggressively between two
> developers, and I don't think it's easy to deescalate. But I think
> that there is a good way to solve the situation - _if_ the Release
> Team is willing to accept one more power / responsability.

[...]

> If, in a fashion similar to issuing release qualifications for
> architectures, the Release Team indicates which is the minimum
> acceptable build environment for a FTBFS to be considered RC.

That solution makes sense to me. However, I fear that we as a team are
already having enough on our plate with the architecture qualification.
I am not aware of anybody that would be willing to guide the process of
determining what that environment would be (hence the lack of an answer
to the original bug, although I already put it on the agenda for our
next meeting *before* I learned of the bug to the tech-ctte). I wouldn't
be happy doing that without proper discussion. I personally don't feel
qualified to make this call.

Paul