Re: Bits from the Release Team: ride like the wind, Bullseye!

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer writes ("Re: Bits from the Release Team: ride like the wind, Bullseye!"):
> No, what I have been perceiving (and pretty please note that this is my
> personal "feeling") is that maintainers, specially library maintainers, have
> even more and more "stuff to care for".

I can see why you feel that way.

I think maybe we need to make it easier for the maintainer of a
widely-used library to push some of this out to depending packages.

(And I speak as a maintainer of a leaf package with a thorough
autopkgtest suite which often blocks the migration of my
dependencies.)

Lisandro, would it meet your needs if you had free licence to file RC
bugs against all packages which were blocking your migration, before
you had done the investigation yourself ?

I think the effect would be that a maintainer of a dependent package
would have to engage with the situation and if they did nothing for
long enough, the autoremoval would kick in.  Then your library would
be able to migrate.

This seems similar to the approach we take with (say) new compilers,
which trigger FTBFS bugs in depending packages.  The compiler
maintainers do not investigate the issues - they file bugs, which
eventually become RC, and then the depending packages must either be
fixed our autoremoved.

(Of course some library maintainers would prefer to do some
investigation first.)

Ian.