Re: What is the definition of "truly critical functionality"?

On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 09:03:19AM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On 2019-08-02 07:48, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > I'm trying to mean what is meant by "truly critical functionality
> > problem" in Section 5.5.1 in the Debian Developer's Reference:
> >     Extra care should be taken when uploading to stable. Basically, a
> >     package should only be uploaded to stable if one of the following
> >     happens:
[...]
> I suspect that may have been what it was originally intended to mean. (I
> think the DevRef text dates from before my involvement in Debian.) It's not
> the yardstick that is currently applied, however. I need to find some tuits
> to write up some more useful "end-user" documentation for stable updates on
> release.d.o, but the closest currently is
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/04/msg00007.html

obviously writing up documentation for release.d.o is much appreciated,
however since 3 days DevRef in unstable is not using SGML anymore, but
ReST, so writing patches for DevRef has become much easier, should you
(or someone else) also wants to update it.

My rough plan is to update DevRef by one bug per week in the next
year... patches & further help very much welcome! DevRef is maintained
in the Debian group on Salsa so if you are confident you can also commit&push
yourself, or do MRs if you prefer reviews and more pairs of eyes.

--
cheers,
	Holger

Dance like no one's watching. Encrypt like everyone is.