Re: Freeze exception enquiry (Xen 4.12)

Ian Jackson:
> tl;dr: should we update buster to Xen 4.12 (currently, 4.12-RC2) ?
>
> Hi.  I hope you will be able to answer this question before we prepare
> a proposed updated package (and certainly without us uploading the
> package to unstable, since we want to keep unstable for updates to
> buster).
>
> Xen upstream is currently in the 2nd week of the freeze for Xen 4.12.
> sid/buster currently have 4.11.
>
> Upstream quality in 4.12 seems reasonable (and comparable to that of
> the Xen 4.11) we have.  It is very likely that Xen 4.12 will be
> finally released well before Debian buster.
>
> [...]
>
> Please could you advise whether this update is something you generally
> favour ?  If so then we will prepare a suitable update and check that
> the library transition is fine for all the the rdepends, and then
> return with a formal freeze exception request.
>
> We do not expect to need any significant changes to the packaging.  A
> whole package debdiff is not likely to be very illuminating because
> there will be a fair few upstream changes.
>
> Regards,
> Ian.

Hi Ian,

Do we know when xen 4.12 will be released?

Also, be advised that even if we approve the exception, we may ask you
to rollback to the current upstream version of xen in a timely fashion
if it turns xen 4.12 has or causes non-trivial regressions (i.e. either
on its own or in other packages).

Thanks,
~Niels