Re: using sid-strict etc for britney

Holger Levsen:
> Hi,
>
> Andreas sent this to the piuparts-devel list while I think it's more
> appropriate to discuss this on debian-release@....

Hi Holger,

Thanks for forwarding this idea. :)

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 02:38:38PM +0100, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
>> currently britney uses piuparts regressions comparing testing vs. sid to
>> block migrations. That's fine, since we should have few false positives
>> in sid nowadays.
>> It would be nice if we could use a similar scheme like autopkgtests uses
>> to delay migration for other tests, like sid-strict or testing2sid.
>> As in "if your package leaves files after purge, you don't get the
>> migration reduction from 5 to 2 days"
>> and for testing2sid (or stable2sid) there may be more false positives
>> caused by other packages, so it would be great to at least delay
>> migration by a few days as well, to allow manual inspection of the
>> failure, I several times didn't manage to file a bug within 2 days of
>> upload to prevent migration of a buggy package to testing ...
>
> sounds like a splendid idea to me!
>
> How can we get this going?

At its essence, it is a question of updating the PiupartsPolicy in
Britney[1] along with adding relevant test cases (either in "tests/" or
in britney2-tests[2]).

Once that is done, we can merge the code and update the britney wrapper
to fetch the relevant summary.json files from piuparts.d.o.

Hints as to the actual steps:

 * PiupartsPolicy.initialise should load the relevant summary files.
   (Difficulty level: copy-paste + rename things)

 * PiupartsPolicy.apply_src_policy_impl should analyse the new files
   and determine which delay to apply if any.  If a age delay is to be
   applied then the method should now call:
     excuse.add_penalty('piuparts', <delay-in-days-goes-here>)

 * TestPiupartsPolicy should be updated to include a case for it.  It
   might make sense to have PiupartsPolicy include a note in the
   policy_info so the test case can rely on that (rather than having
   to setup an AgePolicy as well for verification).

We have a ".gitlab-ci" on the git repo that runs all the basic test
cases for you on push to salsa.  Alternatively, have a look at the
ci/gitlab-ci-runner for how to run the tests manually.

Thanks,
~Niels

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/release-team/britney2/blob/master/britney2/policies/policy.py