Re: Transition sane-backends

[re-adding debian-release]

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 22:34:47 +0200, Jörg Frings-Fürst wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 16.08.2018, 10:10 +0200 schrieb Julien Cristau:
> > On 08/16/2018 07:32 AM, Jörg Frings-Fürst wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > for the package sane-backends I ask my sponsor to upload it into
> > > experimental, but it was uploaded into sid.
> > >
> > > All rebuilds against libsane1 on amd64 are tested and ok.
> > >
> > > What further action is proposed by you?
> >
> > Did the ABI actually change from the previous version?
>
> Yes, see attached diff. A lot of functions are not longer available.

That diff doesn't really prove anything by itself but OK.

> >  If yes, why did
> > the SONAME not change?
>
> I don't know. That's a question for upstream.

No, it's a question for you as the packager of that library.  Answering
it properly may involve educating upstream about proper library hygiene,
but it's not something you can just avoid answering.

> > If not, then the package rename is wrong and
> > needs to be reverted.
> >

> It is certainly not wrong to reflect the SONAME in the name of the
> binary parcel. And it's a good programming style.

Having package name reflect SONAME is good practice for a new library.
It's absolutely bad practice to change package names for that single
reason, as your changelog implies happened here.

Cheers,
Julien