Re: Building armel on arm64

Adrian Bunk wrote...

> I'd like to get a clear picture regarding the situation of building
> armel for buster on arm64, ideally moving it to arm64 hardwre soon.

JFTR, I'd appreciate if armel/armhf could continue to be part of a
release.

> 1. What issues are considered possible problems for moving building
>    armel from 32bit v7 hardware to 64bit v8 hardware?

Perhaps just babble and FUD: There was (and probably still is) an issue
in powerpc: In a certain package, upstream's compile options for ppc had
higher CPU requirements than what Debian uses for that architecture. As
a result, the buildd (some big IBM POWER box) happily built the package,
but out there on a G4 the code would crash for SIGILL, same when
rebuilding on such a hardware.

Now I'm somewhat afraid this might happen again when packages for
armel/armhf are built on more recent hardware. At the same time, I'd
like to see continued support for these architectures.

If this is a concern, how to solve it? Have some native non-DSA
armel/armhf boxes where volunteers rebuild the archive and hope test
suites will catch such issues?

My 2¢

    Christoph