Re: Proposed (lib)curl switch to openssl 1.1

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 12:50:41PM +0000, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:14:24AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 06:16:34PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > So, despite Julien's valid objection that core library conflicts cause
> > > dist-upgrades to be more brittle, I think the right answer here is:
> >
> > > - keep all sonames as-is.
> > > - rename libcurl3 to libcurl4.
> > > - leave the package names of the other variants as-is.
> > > - *if* libcurl-gnutls.so.4 and libcurl-nss.so.4 sonames are known to exist
> > >   elsewhere outside the Debian ecosystem, fix the symbol versions for
> > >   libcurl3-gnutls and libcurl3-nss to use symbol aliases, so that CURL_FOO_4
> > >   is used as the preferred name and CURL_FOO_3 is for compatibility only.
> > >   (This is only worth doing if this increases binary compatibility;
> > >   otherwise it's better to maintain bidirectional binary compatibility for
> > >   Debian-built binaries.)
> > > - change the symbol versions for libcurl4 to CURL_OPENSSL_4.
> >
> > > I would be willing to prepare a patch that implements this.
> >
> > I've done this now and raised an MP:
> >
> >   https://salsa.debian.org/debian/curl/merge_requests/3
> >
> > (I'm assuming there is no point in CURL_FOO_4 symbol version for
> > libcurl-gnutls and libcurl-nss, because these sonames come from a
> > Debian-specific patch and therefore there's no upstream binary compatibility
> > to be concerned about.)
> >
> > Thoughts on this?
> >
> > In terms of ABI changes, this appears to be a strict subset of what
> > Alessandro had proposed and would be binary-compatible for libcurl.so.4; so
> > at minimum, we will probably adopt this change in Ubuntu and proceed with
> > the transition ASAP there, even if Debian later decides to change the ABI
> > for gnutls and nss variants also.
>
> I'm fine with going ahead with just the libcurl3 -> libcurl4 transition for
> now.
>
> Julien: is this something that the Release Team would be ok with? As Steve
> pinted out before, libcurl3 has significantly lower usage than lubcurl3-gnutls
> so impact should be somewhat more limited.
>
> I'd like to go ahead and upload Steve's patch to experimental (which means NEW
> queue) soon, and then request the transition.

Quick update, with a slight delay I went ahead and uploaded Steve's changes to
experimental as curl 7.58.0-3, which got accepted in record time, so I also
requested the transition https://bugs.debian.org/891872

Thanks a lot to everyone involved for the help with this.

Cheers