Re: Requesting decision on webkitgtk removal from testing, related to swt-gtk

On 27/12/17 20:38, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> At the end of October, I uploaded an NMU for swt-gtk to drop its
> unnecessary Build-Depends on webkitgtk. Only hours before the package
> was set to migrate to Testing so I could ask the Release Team to
> remove webkitgtk from Testing, Adrian Bunk uploaded a NMU to *add* a
> depends on libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 (previously it was an undeclared
> dependency). I responded by opening RC bug 880470 since swt-gtk is now
> the only package keeping webkitgtk in Testing. This has now prevented
> either NMU from reaching Testing.
>
> eclipse is the only reverse-depends of swt-gtk in Testing. I think
> it's widely known that Eclipse is so ancient in Debian as to not be
> very useful. However, it can't easily be removed either because there
> are hundreds of packages in its rdepends chain. It also is a very big
> project to update Eclipse to a current version.
>
> I believe that the Release Team can choose to ignore certain bugs that
> would otherwise be RC.
>
> I request that the Release Team investigate the situation. I propose
> that bug 879170 be ignored for Buster and that I be allowed to revert
> the swt-gtk 3.8.2-4.2 NMU. After ~5 days, swt-gtk should migrate to
> Testing, meaning that webkitgtk would no longer have any reverse
> dependencies or build-dependencies in Testing and webkitgtk should be
> removed from Testing then.

As much as I want to remove webkitgtk from testing, I don't think breaking
existing packages makes much sense.

The possible solutions I can think of after reading the bugs are:

- eclipse and friends get updated to swt4-gtk
- eclipse gets removed
- webkit support gets disabled (this doesn't seem to be possible)

Keeping a broken eclipse doesn't help, unless the breakage is small and contained.

Cheers,
Emilio