Re: Proposal: Repository for fast-paced package backports

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 10:11:43PM +0100, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2018/12/msg00028.html
>
> This wasn't about gitlab.

Oh. I must have misread the "gitlab" in the subject, along withthe mail
being sent to the gitlab maintainer, a gitlab bugreport in the BTS, and
concerning a request to accept gitlab into backports ;).

Still, there's a big difference:

 * The thread you refer to is about uploading to backports. This proposal
   ia about *not* uploading to backports. The newly-proposed section is
   only intended to co-exist with backports, and interact nicely with
   backports. (Mind the difference between backport as a general term
   for a package made available for an older distribution, and the name
   backports for a section in the Debian repository).
 * Your mail you are referring to talks about "backports" from unstable
   being a different workflow - this proposal proposes such a workflow.
 * Your mail refers to packages being indistinguishable in -backports -
   this proposal is all about having a new section in the repository to
   distinguish them.

In short: This proposal addresses the exact concerns you raised before
)although I am not the person you expressed them towards).

-nik