Updating x86 microcode in stable

I notice that amd64-microcode and intel-microcode haven't been updated
in stable this year.  (Indeed, amd64-microcode hasn't been updated at
all this year, but I know AMD has issued an update!)

You have updated intel-microcode in backports suites instead.  What's
the reasoning behind this?  I would expect all microcode updates to
meet the criteria for a stable update (fixing instability or data loss
bugs) or security update.

As you probably know, updated microcode is needed to mitigate against
Spectre v2 when running code that has not been rebuilt with the
"retpoline" mitigation, such as when making BIOS/UEFI calls.  I think
it's also needed to support Spectre v2 mitigation in KVM guests running
Windows.

The Linux kernel in stretch has had support for the microcode-based
mitigation since version 4.9.82-1+deb9u1.  I'm currently working on
backporting these changes to jessie, so microcode updates would be
useful there too.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings