Re: Fixing Linux getrandom() in stable

Hi Russ

Am 10.05.2018 um 19:22 schrieb Russ Allbery:
> Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
>> Am 10.05.2018 um 00:46 schrieb Ben Hutchings:
>
>>> One of the krb5 maintainers (Benjamin Kaduk) favours option 2b, and
>>> also proposed that systemd could provide a wait-for-rng-ready unit to
>>> support this.
>
>> What exactly would such a wait-for-rng-ready service do and how would it
>> solve this particular problem?
>
> I may be misunderstanding the nature of the issue, but I believe that a
> Type=oneshot service that runs a small C program that calls getrandom()
> and then exit(0) when it returns would provide a useful facility.
> krb5-kdc could then just declare a dependency on that service and wouldn't
> be started until randomness was available.

So we'd shift the waiting for randomness-to-be-available from one
service to another? I don't quite see yet, where the benefit is in that.
What's better if a wait-for-rng-ready binary blocks on getrandom()
instead of the krb5-kdc binary itself? We wouldn't shorten the time we
have to wait this way.

universe are pointed away from Earth?