Re: Proposed (lib)curl switch to openssl 1.1

Hi again,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 06:16:34PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> So, despite Julien's valid objection that core library conflicts cause
> dist-upgrades to be more brittle, I think the right answer here is:

> - keep all sonames as-is.
> - rename libcurl3 to libcurl4.
> - leave the package names of the other variants as-is.
> - *if* libcurl-gnutls.so.4 and libcurl-nss.so.4 sonames are known to exist
>   elsewhere outside the Debian ecosystem, fix the symbol versions for
>   libcurl3-gnutls and libcurl3-nss to use symbol aliases, so that CURL_FOO_4
>   is used as the preferred name and CURL_FOO_3 is for compatibility only.
>   (This is only worth doing if this increases binary compatibility;
>   otherwise it's better to maintain bidirectional binary compatibility for
>   Debian-built binaries.)
> - change the symbol versions for libcurl4 to CURL_OPENSSL_4.

> I would be willing to prepare a patch that implements this.

I've done this now and raised an MP:

  https://salsa.debian.org/debian/curl/merge_requests/3

(I'm assuming there is no point in CURL_FOO_4 symbol version for
libcurl-gnutls and libcurl-nss, because these sonames come from a
Debian-specific patch and therefore there's no upstream binary compatibility
to be concerned about.)

Thoughts on this?

In terms of ABI changes, this appears to be a strict subset of what
Alessandro had proposed and would be binary-compatible for libcurl.so.4; so
at minimum, we will probably adopt this change in Ubuntu and proceed with
the transition ASAP there, even if Debian later decides to change the ABI
for gnutls and nss variants also.