Re: Proposed (lib)curl switch to openssl 1.1

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 10:05:22PM +0000, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 07:10:51PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Adrian Bunk writes ("Re: Proposed (lib)curl switch to openssl 1.1"):
> > > What I suggest above would be a transition that should be coordinated
> > > with the release team like other transitions.
> >
> > I'm not 100% opposed to doing this as a normal library transition with
> > a soname change.  I don't feel I understand the tradeoffs well.
>
> Well, one downside is that doing a full blown transition is likely to take
> more work and time to see it completed. Unfortunately I don't have the time
> required and can't commit to doing this myself.
>
> I do agree it's the correct solution though, and it would be a good opportunity
> to finally sync SONAME with upstream (last time a transition of libcurl was
> attempted some 10 years or so ago, it was halted for reasons now lost in the
> mists of time, so we have been stuck carrying some hacks to pretend we are
> still using the old SONAME, see e.g. [0] [1]).

The transition would affect many packages (and the soname change makes
makes more sense if -nss and -gnutls are also changed), but otherwise it
would be relatively simple and straightforward since all potential
problems in reverse dependencies are already covered with RC bugs.

> Cheers

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.