Re: Fixing the jessie->stretch upgrade path

Ondřej Surý:
> Dear release team and fellow MySQL/MariaDB maintainers,
>
> the situation in stretch in regards to clean upgrade path from jessie is
> a little bit unfortunate. [...]

I agree that we will be a lot better off with a proper fix for this
problem.  Plus it will probably save us a bunch of bug reports and angry
users / sysadmins.

> Therefore I am proposing a one time fix specifically targeted at
> stretch. I would like to prepare 'mysql-transitional' package that will
> create a couple of dummy/transitional packages structured like this:
>
> mysql-server depends on default-mysql-server
> mysql-client depends on default-mysql-client
>
> The version would be 5.5.999+mariadb, [...]

Ack - at a quick glance it sounds fine (I got some minor bikeshedding
about the version, but I suppose it is reasonably unlikely that there
will be over 900 mysql-5.5 releases before it stops being supported).

> This upload would have to go directly into stretch, so an approval of
> release team is required.
>
> Cheers,

Please file an unblock request for it to the request does not disappear.
 Feel free to consider it pre-approved (just reference this mail in the
unblock request).

Thanks,
~Niels