Re: Rebuilding packages to increase Stretch's PIE coverage

Hi,

> Hi All.

>> Hi All,

>>> That said a test rebuild (outside the archive) on all/most architectures
>>> wouldn't be a bad idea.
>>
>> I have finished the rebuild on amd64.
>> 3404 packages built successfully [1]
>> 81   still had lintian warning about no-pie binary[2]
>> 3324 would rebuild and the result would countain only PIE binaries per
>> Lintan [3]
>>
>> IMHO if a the rebuild of a package breaks it or other packages then
>> this would be an RC bug in the package thus I believe this risk is not
>> a very good reason for not performing the binNMUs.
>>
>> I am very happy about the progress of the release and I don't want to
>> risk delaying Stretch, but I think
>> we are at the beginning of the freeze period, rather than in the middle. :-)
>>
>> I also think that it would be reasonable to plan mass rebuilds at the
>> beginning of each deep freeze period when the release benefits from it
>> greatly. The call would be done by the Release Team, but announcing
>> the possibility of such mass rebuilds would let others be prepared for
>> it.
>
> Do you have any comment? Or is it the end of story for those ~3k
> packages ready for PIE but without PIE in Stretch?

I'm sorry, I have not checked the PIE progress, just the emails.
I see PIE rebuilds for packages listed without PIE coverage.

The lintian tag graph also shows the progress, thanks!
https://lintian.debian.org/tags/hardening-no-pie.html

Cheers,
Balint