Transition to SQLAlchemy 1.1.x

Dear release team,

As per the suggestion on IRC, I'm writing this email to discuss the
mater on public lists.

The maintainer of SQLAlchemy wants to upload version 1.1.x. I'm strongly
opposing to this upload, because past upgrades of SQLAlchemy have broken
OpenStack completely, and that's what I also expect from this new
release. I've expressed this on the #debian-python channel, but piotr
wrote he's uploading 1.1.4 to Sid anyway.

Here's the list of reverse dependencies:

 anki
 archipel-core
 bauble
 blogofile-converters
 buildbot
 childsplay
 epigrass
 episoder
 gertty
 gourmet
 griffith
 ibid
*neutron-common
 pegasus-wms
*python-alembic
*python-aodh
*python-barbican
*python-ceilometer
*python-cinder
 python-csvkit
 python-datanommer.models
*python-designate
 python-elixir
 python-firewoes
 python-flask-sqlalchemy
 python-formalchemy
*python-glance
*python-glare
*python-gnocchi
*python-heat
*python-ibm-db-sa
*python-ironic
*python-ironic-inspector
*python-keystone
*python-magnum
*python-manila
*python-migrate
*python-mistral
*python-murano
*python-nailgun
*python-networking-sfc
*python-neutron
*python-neutron-dynamic-routing
*python-neutron-fwaas
*python-neutron-lbaas
*python-neutron-lib
*python-neutron-vpnaas
*python-nova
*python-oslo.db
*python-pykmip
*python-rally
*python-sahara
*python-senlin
 python-sprox
 python-sqlalchemy-ext
*python-sqlalchemy-utils
 python-sqlkit
 python-sqlsoup
*python-taskflow
*python-trove
*python-vmware-nsx
*python-watcher
*python-zaqar
 python-zope.sqlalchemy
 yhsm-yubikey-ksm

I've marked the packages I maintain with a star. That's about 40
packages which all would need to be uploaded, at least to fix the
dependency version (since the maintainer decided packages would have
<1.1 as Depends: if building with 1.0.x).

To me, this is exactly the kind of upload which should be overseen by
the release team, through a transition slot. This isn't the path that is
being taken at all by the SQLA maintainer.

I have done some rebuild checks, which I've tracked here:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/sqla-1.1-transition

At this point, 11 packages could rebuild well, and 3 are broken with the
new version of SQLAlchemy.

At this point in time, it looks to me very unrealistic to put all of my
effort on fixing SQLAlchemy problems instead of fixing the last (rc)
bugs that there would be on OpenStack packages. Moreover, the past
Newton release of OpenStack will *not* support a new version of
SQLAlchemy in the stable branch (ie: backport of fixes will be refused),
which very much would make me the only person willing to fix an already
released version.

To sum up: it's IMO really too late for such an upload, and it shouldn't
be allowed, unless we don't care about OpenStack in Debian.

Dear release team, please give me your view on this,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: Please CC: me, as I'm not registered to the release list.