transition hypre 2.8.0b->2.11.1 (Re: coming transition freeze )

On Wed, 2016-07-06 at 21:42 +0200, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:

> The freeze will begin on 5th November 2016. To recap:
>
>   * 2016-11-05 Transition freeze
>   * 2016-12-05 Mandatory 10-day migrations

I'd like to flag a transition for hypre 2.8.0b -> 2.11.1 (now in the
NEW queue headed for experimental)

I've been working to get an updated dolfin (python-dolfin) in the
archive. I've been upgrading the libraries it uses one by one.  petsc
is the important one.

But hypre (used by petsc) was quite old. It seemed dissonant to have
the other libraries updated while hypre was still old.

I've prepared an update for hypre 2.11.1, now uploaded to experimental
(i.e. currently in the NEW queue).  Given the time needed to get
through NEW, it may not be able to hit unstable before 5 November.

I've confirmed petsc will build (and run) with the new hypre. i.e. I
have the patch for it ready.

elmer is the only other client with Build-Depends: libhypre-dev, but
it's failing to build anyway, regardless of any hypre upgrade. A new
version of elmer has been stuck in experimental for 3 years.

code-aster-mpi-engine gets an indirect dependency on the hypre library
binary via petsc.

So I hope you can let the hypre transition into unstable, for the sake
of petsc and dolfin.

Drew