Re: Static libraries - PIC or PIE?

Hi Ardian,

> Hi Bálint,
>
> there is some confusion regarding how static libraries should be
> compiled now.
>
> Your bugs (e.g. #837350) say "Please build libfoo.a with -fPIC".
>
> Why do these say -fPIC and not -fPIE?

I suggest using -fPIC, because then the shared libraries would be
usable in shared (PIC) libraries libraries, too.

This in many cases also simplify debian/rules. I also suggested
changing the policy #837478.

> My current understanding is that a binNMU would recompile the the static
> library with PIE (not PIC), and that this is sufficient.

In most of the cases this would be sufficient, but at the time I filed the
bugs the default was -no-pie, thus it was not an option.

I'm OK with performing binnmu-s and decreasing the severity of the 'solved'
bugs to wishlist.

Cheers,
Balint