Re: sspace: arch:all package with missing i386 dependencies

On 20/06/16 12:01, Sascha Steinbiss wrote:
> Hi Emilio,
>
>>> similarly to circulator, ariba and others, I have another Perl-based tool packaged which depends on something missing on i386:
>>>
>>>    sspace/i386 unsatisfiable Depends: bowtie
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to force sspace as well as discussed before?
>>> If you need any more information please just let me know.
>>
>> Have you tried to port/build bowtie to i386 / 32 bits? It was once available
>> there. Building it there again would make your package available to more users.
>
> I am not the original maintainer of bowtie so I don't know what caused
> its current state of non-building. I might look into it but I would
> kindly ask you to be aware that it is not uncommon for this kind of
> bioinformatics software to become architecture-dependent at some point
> in its lifetime. Upstream might have decided to rely on a particular
> hardware feature starting from some new version.
> Do you see any chance to get it in at all without getting bowtie to
> build on i386?

Yes, given this is not a regression (as sspace is a new package). Obviously
making it available on more architectures is always a good thing, but that can
happen later.

I've added the necessary hints. This should migrate in the next britney run.

Cheers,
Emilio