Re: Cron is not started on Jessie update

Me too, but it wasn't globally true.   I ran:

$ pdsh -lroot -g os=debian_linux '[ "$(lsb_release -cs)" = "jessie" ] && { systemctl -q is-active cron.service || { echo CRON_NOT_RUNNING; systemctl restart cron ;} ;}' | tee /tmp/jessie-cron.log
(i use PDSH to remote manage several hundred Debian systems, most still Wheezy.)

and found a good chunk of my Jessie desktops with unattended-upgrades were hit by this.
(but not all).  Also, my virtualbox Jessie instance here at home was upgraded by apper via notifications interactively (not unattended-upgrades) and 'cron' restarted fine there.  (perhaps the 'cron' package has already been fixed?)

$ systemctl status cron
● cron.service - Regular background program processing daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cron.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2015-09-06 10:56:34 MDT; 36min ago
     Docs: man:cron(8)
 Main PID: 12431 (cron)
   CGroup: /system.slice/cron.service
           └─12431 /usr/sbin/cron -f