Re: Status on GNOME for Jessie

(Non-subscriber, replying via the list archives; sorry if this breaks
threading.)

Niels wrote:
> We have looked at the remaining RC bugs for Jessie, and noticed that
> the GNOME package stack seems to have several RC bugs affecting both
> unstable and testing.
>
> Of the remaining 78 RC bugs in key packages affecting unstable and
> testing, GNOME accounts for[1]:
>
> * #768133 - evince print only blank page in landscape / okular work

Fixed

> * #644047 - gdm3: /etc/default/locale ignored, locale set to C,[...]
> * #774889 - gdm3: fails to upgrade squeeze -> wheezy -> jessie [...]

Fixed (along with a regression from fixing #644047)

> * #775877 - gnome-session: No mouse pointer after login

I cannot reproduce this, but I've found a bug that seems like a
plausible reason for the crash reported by the bug submitter, and had a
2-line patch accepted upstream. I'm currently waiting for the bug
submitter to test the potential fix. Would you like me to upload it
blindly in the hope that it is in fact the root cause?

> * #776746 - gnome-session: GNOME crashes during a remote desktop
>   access

As far as I can tell, the issue here is that GNOME Shell requires the
decade-old Composite extension, but neither of our Xvnc implementations
seem to have that, because they're both based on X server codebases
older than that extension. I don't see how this can be resolved from the
GNOME side, other than wontfix; Shell is a compositing manager, and just
won't work without compositing. It doesn't seem particularly realistic
to fix this from the Xvnc side for jessie either.

The long-term solution is probably to do what Fedora have done: package
tigervnc (which builds against a modern X server) as the only supported
VNC server, and do not support Xvnc implementations based on older X
codebases. Unfortunately, the RFP for tigervnc has stalled several times.

My suggestion would be to reassign this to our two Xvnc implementations
with "affects xrdp" and perhaps "affects gnome-session", and drop it to
a non-RC severity.

(It would also be nice if xrdp had selectable session types and, in the
short term, could ignore GNOME 3 and other environments that require
compositing; but that's wishlist IMO.)

> * #770130 - gnome-shell: fails to start on i386 when built with [...]

Two separate issues, probably. I've unmerged #775235, which has a tested
(but upstream-rejected) patch, and reassigned to mesa; this seems worth
fixing for jessie, since it affects fairly normal VM configurations and
there's a known-working patch.

#770130/#776911 looks like an Intel driver bug (could be either kernel
or X, I can't tell). The report that has hardware details was on Pentium
III-era i386 hardware, and I can reproduce something very similar
(#780413, with which the others should perhaps be merged) on a disused
Pentium IV that I happened to have in my office. Given that that's a
decade old at this point, and would probably not provide great
performance for GNOME anyway, I'm not convinced this deserves to be RC.

Thanks,