Re: [steve.m.hay@googlemail.com: Perl 5.20.2 is now available!]

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 01:31:32PM +0200, Niko Tyni wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 11:10:21PM +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> > I had a look through the changelog and picked out these potential
> > regressions from 5.14 (ignoring platform specific issues on unsupported
> > platforms, and doc changes).
>
> Thanks for looking at this.
>
> [...]
>
> > There's still rather more than I'm comfortable applying at this stage
> > in the freeze individually; I think if we are going to apply any of this
> > it should be the whole of 5.20.2, and the release team aren'te going to
> > be keen on that either.
>
> That's quite a bit indeed. I agree that backporting all that becomes quite
> a mess, but I guess it's doable. The question is if we'd be better or
> worse off with that or just the (more or less) plain 5.20.1 we have now.
>
> I suppose we should ask the release team what they would like?

Hi release team,

See

<http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/perl-maintainers/2015-February/004667.html>

where I have summarised some possibly-relevant fixes from the latest
stable release of perl. Many of them are regressions from what we have
in wheezy.

By themselves none of them are release critical but there is quite a
bundle of changes. Do you think there is any point in trying to get these
into Jessie before release? I think there'd be an argument for them
going in in a point release if not.

It'd probably be safest to actually import 5.20.2 rather than cherry pick
all the right patches from that long list. I realise that this falls
some way outside the current freeze policy, so feel free to tell me to
go away :)

Note: there's one bug currently filed at RC to consider fixing in
perl: #777556.

Cheers,
Dominic.