Re: libotr transition started by mistake :-/

On 2014-11-01 16:50, intrigeri wrote:
>> As I recall, we generally prefer libraries do not have unnecessary
>> > "strictly equal runtime version checks", since they tend to be wrong.
>> >   Proper use of shlibs (or symbols) and SONAME bumping (with package
>> > renaming) makes such checks redundant (for Debian maintained reverse
>> > dependencies).
> Actually, the way I understand the code, what we have here is not
> a "strictly equal runtime version check", but rather "runtime version
> greater or equal to the build-time one", which is better in that it
> doesn't require binNMUs.

For reference, should a check would still be wrong with symbols files.
If libotr had been using symbols files, a reverse dependency could build
against 4.1.0, but only have a dependency on >= 4.0.0 (provided that
they did not use the "otrl_mem_differ" symbol).
  Combine that with the case where libotr/4.0.0 is in testing,
libotr/4.1.0 is stalled in sid and the reverse dependency migrates to
testing => reverse dependency is now broken in testing due to no fault
of its own.  It would now require binNMU in testing simply to get
rebuilt with a "built-against 4.0.0" marker.

~Niels