Re: How would you use britney for Kali and are generalization patches welcome?

On 2014-07-16 23:57, Niels Thykier wrote:
> On 2014-07-16 15:48, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> Hello britney maintainers,
>>

> Hi, :)
>
> [...]
>
> Short-term options include:
>  * patch Britney reject on first new uninstallable
>    - something like the attached patch, which /vastly/ reduces the
>      runtime of testing libtext-iconv-perl
>    - downside: you have less to go on when she reports "migrating A
>      breaks B", because you only get one "broken" package (which
>      possibly is broken indirectly)
> [...]
>
> ~Niels

Hi again,

With my patch proposed, I have run your dataset and the full run
completed after about 1h and 15minutes.  After that the auto-hinters
start up.  The main run completes with:

"""
start: 96+0: i-43:a-26:a-13:a-14
 orig: 96+0: i-43:a-26:a-13:a-14
  end: 49+0: i-17:a-9:a-11:a-12
SUCCESS (16353/9260)
"""

Which is "Britney-ish" for 7093 "items" migrated, 9260 items failed to
migrated despite being valid candidates[1] and the number of
uninstallable packages dropped from 96 to 49.

The auto-hinter then takes a couple of minor hints followed by a "mega
hint" (containing 8464 items).  It remains to be seen if that hint will
work or not, but keep in mind that my patch does not affect hints so it
could be stuck here (sadly).  I suspect it to be stuck though, so I
suggest you patch out the auto-hinters for now.

If time permits, I will play around with this a bit more and see if I
cannot come up with a decent solution.

~Niels

[1] The auto-hinters will take care of some of those.