Re: Handling s390 libc ABI change in Debian

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 09:21:30AM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 07:18:39AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > I can follow up with a list affected packages, but we are slowly
> > discovering them one by one, so it might takes time. So far we have:
> >
> > * Mixing modules/libraries built with pre-2.19 and 2.19 libc
> > - perl
> > - libpng
> >
> > * Using libc 2.19 without rebuilding anything:
> > - gauche
> > - mono
>
> I think it's pretty important for perl to keep working as much as is
> required for the system to upgrade itself. I'd be a bit less concerned
> (aside already broken binary compatibility) if the base system keeps
> working during the upgrade.

It might not be easy to ensure the upgrade process works correctly. For
example in mono case, as soon as a new libc is installed, mono stops
working, and installing/upgrading a mono package would fail as mono is
called in the postinst (this is bug#751171). We have to avoid this by
using strict dependencies to make sure the packages are installed in the
right order, but we can't guarantee to detect and handle all cases. That
means some upgrades might break.