Re: lua & jessie

On Sun, Jul  6, 2014 at 00:00:43 +0200, Enrico Tassi wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 05, 2014 at 09:00:49PM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> > What should we do about lua? Can we not ship 3 versions of it again? Ideally we
> > would remove lua50 and lua5.1 and switch everything to lua5.2. Do you think
> > that's feasible?
>
> Lua 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 are 3 different languages.  A Lua 5.1 program does
> not necessarily run on 5.2, ditto for 5.0.

You could say the same for python 2.2 vs 2.7 (and everything before and
in between), yet we stopped shipping older versions after a while...

> I understand that 5.1 and 5.2 are close verion numbers, and that you
> may expect incompatible languages to be called 5.0 and 6.0 instead,
> but this is how it is.

So the thing is, having liblua5.1 and liblua5.2 share symbols is a
recipe for trouble.  There's a number of other libraries using each of
them, and there's as far as I can tell nothing preventing a program from
using two of those libs, linked against different liblua5.x versions,
and exploding at runtime.  So if we want to keep shipping several liblua
versions, they need to be made safe against this kind of issues, IMO.

Cheers,
Julien