Re: Bits from the Release Team: Architecture health check

On 2014-02-14 00:32, brunomaximom@openmailbox.org wrote:
>>> Secondly, there are cases like GDM, where a single unsupported package
>>> have rather "long reaching" consequences.  In the concrete example,
>>> GNOME (via gnome-core) strictly depends on gdm3, meaning that if gdm3
>>> goes, (more or less) all of gnome goes with it[2].  That in turn means
>>> that task-gnome-desktop cannot be installed on kFreeBSD (I presume this
>>> will at least affect d-i).
>
> gdm3 could be replaced by lightdm in the gnome-core package or not?

I believe Robert concluded that it was possible to use an alternative to
gdm3 (I forgot if it was lightdm or xdm).  Nevertheless, it would
require that the GNOME maintainers are willing to adopt and support that
change.
  If the GNOME maintainers are not willing to support lightdm/xdm as
alternatives, I suspect kFreeBSD might be better served with not
supporting GNOME in Jessie and revisit this problem in Jessie + 1.

~Niels